Choosing A Propane Pool Heater For Your Home
Back in April, we talked about some of the advantages of owning a propane pool heater, particularly when compared to other options like electric heat pump and solar models. But how do you actually choose a propane pool heater that’s right for you?
Here are three things you’ll have to consider when shopping for a propane pool heater.
Pool Heater Factors To Consider
Propane pool heaters are rated by their output, with sizes ranging from 75,000-450,000 Btu per hour. In general, larger pools need larger heaters, but other factors also come into play – how much exposure to sun or shade your pool gets and how windy your backyard is, to name two). You can approximate the size of pool heater you’ll need by following these instructions (we can help you make a more precise calculation if you contact us for a FREE estimate):
- Choose a target temperature for your pool – aim for somewhere between 78 and 82 degrees.
- Find the average temperature for the area where you live during the coldest month you intend to use your pool.
- Subtract the average temperature from Step 2 from your target temperature in Step 1 to determine your desired temperature rise.
- Calculate the surface area of your pool in square feet.
- Use this following formula to determine the Btu per hour output requirement of the heater*: Pool Area x Temperature Rise x 12
Today’s propane pool heaters can have efficiencies well into the 90s (meaning that more than 90 percent of the energy your pool heater consumes is used to warm your pool water). The cost of your propane pool heater will rise as efficiency improves, all other things being equal. Typically, we recommend that you go for the highest efficiency model that you can afford.
Installation and maintenance costs
As with any home comfort service, you get what you pay for when installing a pool heater – so be sure to choose a reputable contractor with expert technicians if you want to get the most from your pool heating investment. With regular professional propane pool heater maintenance, your heater could last a decade or more.
Why put off your dream of a heated pool any longer? Take the plunge with a propane pool heater, professionally installed and maintained by the pros at Casey Energy. Contact us today for a FREE estimate on propane pool heater installations and propane pool heater service in northern Fairfield and northern Westchester counties!
*Based on 1-1.25 degree temperature rise per hour and a 3.5 mph average wind at the surface of the pool.