No Heat Is No Fun: Avoiding Heating Oil Runouts
A home heating oil runout can happen quickly – a sudden change of weather here, or an over-busy weekend there, and you could easily end up in a no heat emergency (if you do, don’t panic – we’re here to help you!
Then there’s the minus side: besides the inconvenience and possible risk of being in a cold house in the dead of winter, a heating oil runout can clog filters and fuel lines with sediment from the bottom of your oil tank. That means you will need at least a service call and possibly much more. Frozen pipes are also a major concern when you no longer have heat in your greater Danbury-area home, with potential for thousands of dollars in flood damage.
If you run out of heating oil this fall or winter:
- Take immediate steps to retain the heat you have in your house: close curtains, block under-door drafts, hang blankets over doorways, etc.
- If you have other forms of heating such as a fireplace, space heater, or electric heater, use them. NEVER use outdoor equipment (barbecues, outdoor stoves, etc.) indoors – carbon monoxide build up can be extremely dangerous or even deadly.
- Contact Casey Energy for an emergency heating oil delivery at (203) 438-6500.
If you’ve run out of heating oil, do a little detective work – it could help you prevent the problem in the future. Ask yourself the following questions to determine the reasons for your runout:
- When was the last time had a heating oil delivery?
- Has there been a sudden weather change?
- Did I change my thermostat setting?
- Is your furnace or boiler working correctly?
- Is your heating oil tank gauge working correctly?
- Is your oil tank accessible to theft?
- When was the last time you serviced your furnace or boiler?
Five ways to avoid a heating oil runout
When it comes to fuel runouts, prevention is always best. You can avoid running out of home heating oil if you:
- Choose automatic delivery – let us worry about managing your heating oil deliveries.
- Monitor your fuel gauge regularly, especially during a cold snap.
- Order when your tank is no less than 25 percent full (sooner if it is really cold) – don’t wait until the last minute; instant deliveries are not always possible.
- Install an electronic tank gauge to monitor your heating oil level.
- Secure your oil tank to prevent theft.
If you run out of heating oil this fall or winter, don’t panic – contact Casey Energy. Our experts can restart your burner, take care of any problems that arise and refill your tank to keep your family safe and warm at home.