No Heat Is No Fun: Avoiding Heating Oil Runouts
A home heating oil runout can happen quickly – a sudden change of weather here, or an over-busy weekend there, and you could easily end up in a no heat emergency (if you do, don’t panic – we’re here to help you!
On the plus side, running out of heating oil probably won’t do much harm to your furnace or boiler, since each has an emergency switch that automatically turns off the burner when you run out of oil.
Then there’s the minus side: besides the inconvenience and possible risk of being in a cold house in the dead of winter, a heating oil runout can clog filters and fuel lines with sediment from the bottom of your oil tank. That means you will need at least a service call and possibly much more. Frozen pipes are also a major concern when you no longer have heat in your greater Danbury-area home, with potential for thousands of dollars in flood damage.
If you run out of heating oil this fall or winter:
- Take immediate steps to retain the heat you have in your house: close curtains, block under-door drafts, hang blankets over doorways, etc.
- If you have other forms of heating such as a fireplace, space heater, or electric heater, use them. NEVER use outdoor equipment (barbecues, outdoor stoves, etc.) indoors – carbon monoxide build up can be extremely dangerous or even deadly.
- Contact Casey Energy for an emergency heating oil delivery at (203) 438-6500.
If you’ve run out of heating oil, do a little detective work – it could help you prevent the problem in the future. Ask yourself the following questions to determine the reasons for your runout:
- When was the last time had a heating oil delivery?
- Has there been a sudden weather change?
- Did I change my thermostat setting?
- Is your furnace or boiler working correctly?
- Is your heating oil tank gauge working correctly?
- Is your oil tank accessible to theft?
- When was the last time you serviced your furnace or boiler?
Five ways to avoid a heating oil runout
When it comes to fuel runouts, prevention is always best. You can avoid running out of home heating oil if you:
- Choose automatic delivery – let us worry about managing your heating oil deliveries.
- Monitor your fuel gauge regularly, especially during a cold snap.
- Order when your tank is no less than 25 percent full (sooner if it is really cold) – don’t wait until the last minute; instant deliveries are not always possible.
- Install an electronic tank gauge to monitor your heating oil level.
- Secure your oil tank to prevent theft.
If you run out of heating oil this fall or winter, don’t panic – contact Casey Energy. Our experts can restart your burner, take care of any problems that arise and refill your tank to keep your family safe and warm at home.