Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a deadly, odorless gas that is released when you burn propane, wood, heating oil, or any other combustible fuel. If you have a heating system in your Fairfield or Westchester County home, you’ll need to know how to detect and deal with a build-up of this “silent killer.”
Here are some CO safety basics:
- Carbon monoxide most often accumulates as a result of poor ventilation or malfunctioning equipment. Common causes of these problems include blocked vents or flues, improper or infrequent heating equipment maintenance, or overuse of unvented appliances.
- Symptoms of CO poisoning range from mild to severe and get worse as exposure to the gas increases. Mild exposure causes flu-like symptoms, including headaches, nausea and fatigue. With moderate exposure, drowsiness and disorientation are common. In severe cases, unconsciousness and convulsions can occur; death is also possible if left untreated.
- If someone in your home is experiencing CO poisoning symptoms,
- Get fresh air immediately; open windows, then leave the house.
- Call 911.
- Visit your doctor to make sure you don’t need further attention.
- When you return to your home, do NOT operate appliances until a qualified technician services your equipment.
- To prevent CO poisoning,
- Make sure everyone in your home knows the signs of CO poisoning and what to do if they see symptoms occur.
- Perform routine maintenance on all fuel-burning appliances every year.
- Install CO detectors on every level of your home.
Stay safe this winter! Contact us today to learn more safety tips for your Pennsylvania home!