Coronavirus Outbreak: Important Service Information - Click here.
Banner

What You Need to Know about CO

Carbon monoxide alarm

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a deadly, odorless gas that is released when you burn propane, wood, heating oil, or any other combustible fuel. If you have a heating system in your Fairfield or Westchester County home, you’ll need to know how to detect and deal with a build-up of this “silent killer.”

Here are some CO safety basics:

  • Carbon monoxide most often accumulates as a result of poor ventilation or malfunctioning equipment. Common causes of these problems include blocked vents or flues, improper or infrequent heating equipment maintenance, or overuse of unvented appliances.
  • Symptoms of CO poisoning range from mild to severe and get worse as exposure to the gas increases. Mild exposure causes flu-like symptoms, including headaches, nausea and fatigue. With moderate exposure, drowsiness and disorientation are common. In severe cases, unconsciousness and convulsions can occur; death is also possible if left untreated.
  • If someone in your home is experiencing CO poisoning symptoms,
    1. Get fresh air immediately; open windows, then leave the house.
    2. Call 911.
    3. Visit your doctor to make sure you don’t need further attention.
    4. When you return to your home, do NOT operate appliances until a qualified technician services your equipment.
  • To prevent CO poisoning,
    1. Make sure everyone in your home knows the signs of CO poisoning and what to do if they see symptoms occur.
    2. Perform routine maintenance on all fuel-burning appliances every year.
    3. Install CO detectors on every level of your home.

Stay safe this winter! Contact us today to learn more safety tips for your Pennsylvania home!